Friday, July 17, 2009

Lake Swimming

Well, Mom met me at Shawnee Mission Park last night so I could do my first open water swim. They have it bouyed off so you can tell how far you swim. The course is marked a little over 250 meters so twice around is my race length. I did it twice. I was really surprised how well I did! I was hoping to do it in 15 minutes (average) but both times I was about 10! There were things about it that were harder and things about it that were easier. The first time around I drank a lot of lake water figuring out how to lift my head and see where I was going. It was also a new experience not stopping at all. The second time I found my stride and did much better. It wasn't a big deal at all for me to not be able to see in the water!
I met this girl Amy who is terrified of swimming in the lake. She didn't even get her head in the water and freaked out when she felt a fish (she thought). She's super nervous about it.
In the midst. My new camera doesn't have much of a zoom- that's not what it's for. But it was awesome to have it with me since I can take it everywhere!
I get quite a bit of water in my right ear- should've worn my ear plug!
I feel SO MUCH better about the race! I am going to go up to Smithville on Saturday and ride the bike course and swim in the lake. I am finally feeling good- it's still stressful and scary, but I know that I can at least accomplish it and maybe even WELL!

Just some cute pics of the kids since that's really why you read the blog!


1 comment:

Valerie said...

There is a boot camp called H.I.T. (high intensity training) at my gym that starts in September. I'm thinking about taking it. It starts at 5:30 either one or two days a week. I'm not sure though. I know it has a lot of benefits, but with a kid that still isn't sleeping through the night it may be more than I can handle. Anyway, we'll see. Jason said he wants me to run a 5K with him this year...again, we'll see! You look great!