So we are home now. We got home from the hospital at about 3 or so on Thursday. Sullivan got himself a bilirubin blanket (Wallabee) while we were in the hospital. We got to take it home.....yay. I HATE it. It rubs on his umbilical cord and it started bleeding last night. So irritating. We went today for a follow up bili test. He's much better. She still wants us to keep the blanket on over night and most of the day tomorrow and then he can be free. I got him some different shirts today to accommodate it and I put a bandaid over his cord.
So after they took him to the nursery to assess him the day he was born the nurse brought him back and said, "So he has a heart murmur. It should be fine." Uh. Ok. So yes, I do know that 80-90% of heart murmurs kids are born with are completely fine. I let it go for then. The next day I was doing ok about it. I went ahead and listened to it- I could hear it. The problem is all murmurs sound like murmurs. They don't sound any different if they are associated with something totally fine or something totally awful. But I was ok. Thursday we had to take him home. I wasn't ok anymore. He was acting completely normal but I just couldn't stop worrying about it and I knew my anxiety over it wasn't going to get better....So Dr M and I talked and she ordered an Echocardiogram for him. They did it today. So results are ok. He has a very small ventricular septal defect (VSD) of 1.9 mm and a very small PFO or ASD (atrial septal defect) of 1.8 mm. The PFO is something that is present when the baby is in utero- it is a normal part of fetal circulation, but generally closes right after birth. These are 2 things that could possibly close on their own with time- and hopefully will. They shouldn't cause any issues at this point in time. I hadn't said anything to anyone really about getting the ECHO done because part of me felt stupid for needing it to feel ok. Well, now that it's done I just feel relieved and not stupid at all. It IS something- it's NOT nothing. It's an OK something, but I feel that it's worth knowing about. So we will get a follow up Echocardiogram in the future- 3 or 4 months probably to check and see what things are looking like.
Otherwise we are doing ok. The kids are sortof a mess with all the things going on right now. G is pretty attached to being at home. Mira was pissed today because she had to go to school and he didn't. Things will settle down I know, but for now, it's pretty crazy. I think getting out to the hospital today and then I went to Target was maybe a bit much for my body at this point. I need to lay on the couch tomorrow I think. Sullivan is such a good boy. He is totally content as long as he is swaddled tight or held. It's funny because the other kids hated the swaddle. He hates being cold. He likes to sit in the swing all swaddled up. He is a good sleeper- He was up every 2-3 hours to eat last night but slept pretty soundly in between. He would prefer to sleep right next to me, so we'll have to work on that.
Here are some pics of our visitors in the hospital :)
Grandma Lana.
Grandpa and the kiddos.
4 comments:
Great job Hillary!!!! How do you like my new I pad ??? Wish I knew how to really use
Great job Hillary!!!! How do you like my new I pad ??? Wish I knew how to really use
OK, Ann, you beat me commenting on here, but did you have to repeat it twice???????
Love all the pictures and the story you told.
Cuz M.
Congrats!!! Reading your post has made me the closest I have been to wanting a third! :) Still not very close...
So happy for you guys! He is so freakin' sweet. Enjoy. I will be anxious to read of your new adventures!
Post a Comment