Sunday, May 3, 2009
Disaster in Omaha
We'll start with the fun stuff....because we did actually have a bit of fun. On Thursday night we headed to Omaha to meet mom and go to the zoo on Friday. We went to the pool Thurs night. The pool at the hotel was really great. It was quite large and was a walk- in slope. The kids were totally in control of how deep they went and had a fun time! I brought my goggles and swam some laps. G thought they were hilarious.


He had such a fun time getting in and out of the water by himself.
M loved being able to touch!
G also thought it was pretty fun to put the towels in the water.

I love this kid.
A fair sibling picture.
M getting her hair wet.
And then trying to figure out how to put her nose in.
We had a lot of room service for breakfast the next morning!! I went to work out at the gym briefly and then we went back to the pool for awhile.
It was AFTER the fun that the disaster occurred. We got back to the room after swimming and mom and I both got showered and dressed. We were getting ready to head to the Zoo and I was packing up all of our stuff. G was playing on the floor next to me. I noticed that he was digging for something under the chair by the bed a couple of feet from me. I continued throwing stuff in the bags and when I was finished- probably about 30 secs to a minute later, I went over to pick him up and noted these pills surrounding him on the floor. I honestly had no idea what to do. I was fairly sure he hadn't ingested anything, but couldn't be positive, of course. I didn't see any pills in his mouth or even in his hands, but I knew the right thing was to take him to the ER and after talking to those at work, I knew I had to. I'm not sure what an "innocent" pill looks like, but these didn't look "innocent."
Checking in to Omaha Children's ER.
Playing with the very few toys we had.
Sitting in the ER waiting for tests.
Bored....so bored.
They did a couple of tests and gave him some activated charcoal (which absorbs things in the digestive tract so that it's not absorbed) and we were observed for about 5 hours. They did find out that the pills we brought in were an antibiotic, cardiac (heart) medications and a potassium (quite a dangerous vitamin). It was good we went. We got there around 1 and were discharged at about 6 pm, drove home and went to bed....whew! I actually coped with the situation pretty well- no crying or screaming at all. I was mostly just so disappointed! I love the zoo and the kids love animals so much and we didn't get to go at all! The trip wasn't a total loss, of course, and the kids aren't really old enough to be too sad about it, but I AM! The hotel is supposed to give us our stay for free and hopefully pay for all of our ER bills...I'm hoping it won't be too much of a fight. I am really looking forward to going to the zoo again sometime soon, but rest assured, I'll be inspecting the ENTIRE hotel room next time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
OMGosh that is so scary. Sorry you didnt get to go to the zoo, but safety first, right?
By the way...you look really good. I can tell your work out/diet plan is working really well.
Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment