Monday, March 21, 2011

30/60 Trip - New Orleans

So this last weekend was the 30/60 trip. Molly and I decided to take mom somewhere for her 60th birthday and I also turn 30 this year. Mom's birthday isn't until May, and since baby is due about a week after that, well, it wasn't going to work then! No biggie because our weather was PERFECT!

The first day Molly and I were on our own because mom's flight was due to arrive early the next morning. We wandered around and planned the rest of our trip. This is the steamboat we actually took a cruise on a couple days later, but took a pic then.
Mom and Molly enjoying Hurricaines at Pat O'Brien's.
We went on a swamp tour. We didn't see a ton of animals but it was really relaxing and nice to go out on the boat for a few hours and to also see the bayou. Some interesting trees.

Looking at some stuff. We saw a few snakes, one gator, a playful otter and some birds.
Beignets at Cafe Du Monde. We waited about 45 mins this day. Molly and I had gotten them a couple of days before also. Glorified funnel cakes.
Oak Alley Plantation- quite impressive.
Gorgeous.
This was our last meal. We spent a LOT of money and time eating! We had some really expensive and awesome meals. I was sort of disappointed on the last day because though we had some FANTASTIC food and had visited some really famous restaurants, we hadn't really had any of the true local food like you think of when you think south LA. We went to The Gumbo Shop and ate red beans and rice, jambalaya, and shrimp creole. Completed the trip quite nicely.
Not the prettiest food, but quite tasty and pretty inexpensive. The trip was a success. We did a ton of walking and really saw everything we wanted to see. The hotel was in a great location! We were in bed by about 10 every night. Obviously I wasn't drinking, but I don't feel like I missed out at all. We also did a cemetery tour that was pretty interesting and I got SUPER burnt. The weather was awesome 80 or above every day. Ahhhh I could live there easily. It was hard not to complain about being hot! We did walk down Bourbon street several times and got some pretty interesting comments about me being pregnant.

No comments: