So on Sunday evening our Grandpa Charlie was in a very bad car accident. So bad, in fact, that when they cleaned up the wreck they assumed he was dead and treated the clean up and investigation as a fatality accident. We found out on Monday morning that he was in the ICU at Liberty Hospital and alive, but very very injured. He is making improvements, but today marks his 3rd full day on the ventilator and sedated. He has rib fractures, lung injuries, a cracked C2 vertebrae, and a stable pelvic fracture, along with kidney and liver damage. How he was spared a brain injury was a blessing from God, to say the least. They are weaning his ventilator and he will hopefully be breathing on his own tomorrow. I was at work all day Monday and my mom was in Arizona....they had found his biological kids, but one of them lives in North Dakota and the other one he doesn't have much contact with, but she was there with him. We had trouble really finding anything out because we aren't his "true" family....so we were made to worry all day Monday. Monday evening I was able to go see him after work and felt a bit better.
I sat with him yesterday morning until Mom was able to get back in town and be with him. There are still some familial issues, but so far we are allowed to be with him as he would wish along with his kids when they want to be. Charlie isn't really the kids' grandpa, nor his he my father or step-father, but he has filled that role in our lives for a couple of years now. It's pretty hard to see someone you love hurt so bad and to know what kind of recovery he still has ahead of him. The next few months are going to be really hard. So that's what's been going on here this week....Hoping our Charlie is back to himself soon!
3 comments:
I've been thinking about Charlie a lot this week, as well as you, Molly, and your mom. I hope everything goes okay with the ventilator and that he has a nice, steady recovery.
Go Charlie, we're rooting and thinking of you.
I can't tell you how many times I have checked your blog during the day and it just came on here now. Thank you for updating us on Charlie.
This is beautifully written and full of emotions of a family.
Cuz M.
Post a Comment