Monday, January 7, 2008

Sad News

So I hit and killed a dog today...a little black and white Pomeranian. It was one of the most awful things I can remember happening to me emotionally. I was driving out of my subdivision about a block or two away from the house. I saw a lady walking a big dog on a leash on the sidewalk and BAM this little runt dashed past her and out in front of me. There was absolutely nothing I could have done about it, but you replay the situation over and over again and try and think of things you could have done to prevent it. I was probably driving too fast (about 30 or so which is too fast for our subdivision) but as the lady across the street from us said- "we all do!" I was talking to my mom on the phone at the time...but, I was paying attention- I can still see that lady walking her dog on the sidewalk. She was actually worried about me and my state for driving!

I hit her hard (he probably only weighed 10 lbs or less so it wouldn't have taken much). Luckily I didn't run over her so there was no blood or guts, but her neck was all bent and she couldn't move anything. It was amazingly sad and disturbing. Of course I was sobbing uncontrollably when the man walked around the side of his house and saw what happened. The little baby was whining...I didn't know really what to do. Pick her up? The nurse part of me said no because it might kill her---although I am positive she was going to have to be taken somewhere and put down. The man was nice enough I guess- he wasn't angry or yelling at me. He obviously loved her so much. He picked her up so gently with tears in his eyes....he said something to me although I can't remember what and then started walking back to his house.

What do you do after that? LEAVE? It seems so wrong! Even when you hit a person you have to stay and exchange info and stuff...I just had to drive away. It's very empty feeling. WHY OH WHY do people let their dogs run around? So people like me can hit them and anguish over it?!
I love animals so much. I have seen this dog so many times running around in its yard and the street around- I feel like I should offer them some money for a fence or at least an invisible one. Do I call them? Send them a card? Bake cookies? I just feel so awful for them.

Anyway- M and I went down to Overland Park to pick up her pictures from Elizabeth and then we met B for lunch at Old Chicago. After that we went to my friend Valerie's house to play with M's friend Allie (they are one day apart and less than a lb different in size). I love watching them interact. They seem to understand each other. When they are looking at each other and talking you wonder what they think. Allie doesn't walk yet- it's so obvious that she could if she wanted to but she just absolutely doesn't care. God is probably trying to teach Val a lesson through it- it's so frustrating! M is such a good listener when we're out. She would start to climb their stairs and I would just have to say Mira NO- GET DOWN. And she would! I'm so proud of her sometimes. Here. of course, we have the same thing happen dailyi and she just stares at me like- whatever mom.

Well, since over an hour ago I was falling asleep downstairs and here I still sit- it's time for bed.

3 comments:

From the Dotte said...

What a start to the year. I am sorry that happened to you, but it wasn't your fault.

Anonymous said...

Do something nice for them, at least send them a card, food, something to show how sorry you are. I'm sure they know that, but a gesture is always nice when it's your dog. Our new dog got hit by a car right in front of Jeremy in our neighborhood (I was still at work) and I know it meant a lot to me that the driver stopped and kept apologizing and asked if she was going to be okay and what she could do. Luckily she was okay, just bumped real hard, sore, a few scratches, limped a little, but fine. I know if she would have been killed I would have appreciated at least a card from the driver even though it was the same situation. Not the driver's fault, Jessi ran out in front of her. It still made me feel good to know she cared. You can't control other people's dogs, as bad as it feels, it wasn't your fault.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Read your blog and couldn't help but reply. We lost a dog last New Years Day. The person who hit him didn't even stop. I was so angry at the person for not stopping. I agree, doing something nice to show you are sorry would be lovely. It isn't your fault because the dog shouldn't have been in the road, but still nice gestures never hurt!!